Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Six Reasons To Kill - Rote Erde (2016)

Germany's Six Reasons To Kill craft what I'd consider a mix of melodic death and groove metal, which comes in like an absolute fist with the title track. The listener gets a literal earful of brass knuckles, which remind of hardcore acts the likes of Sworn Enemy and Hatebreed. But there's a little more here than that, as a tinge of melody sweeps into the main riff of the song and leads into a rather unexpected and full-bodied solo. It's definitely the kind of song that you'd listen to before going to kick someone's ass in a fighting tournament. Interestingly enough, Dismember's “Of Fire” is also covered here, to an obvious change in style and tempo. On this piece we're definitely hearing more melody (as expected) with a tinge towards what I'd consider an At The Gates, or Dismember style of playing (as it's obviously a cover track.) The track later incorporates an almost southern groove, which I'm not sure is a part of the original or not, but it works. I may not know as much about Dismember's early work as I should, but I do know that what I'm hearing is finely crafted melodic death metal with a lot more structure than the title cut and original focus of this piece. I'm sure that Six Reasons To Kill have a lot to offer, but when your original is overshadowed by your cover, I sense that there's a major problem. My challenge to the band is to offer something to me that sounds even better than the Dismember track featured here. A tall order, but it'll definitely separate the men from the boys. I need to note that this EP release follows no less than a total of five full-lengths, so there's a good chance that they've met my challenge and perhaps you should dig through their catalog to find out. It just didn't work for me this time, fellas. (The Grim Tower)

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment