Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review Scoring System (March 21st, 2013)

I thought you all might like to know how I come up with my review scores. This has been done before in the past, but now that The Grim Tower is worldwide, I had better explain my scoring system. In the past, I reviewed from between 1 and 5 with a 666 rating being awesome and 777 being divine or godlike. I was probably the only reviewer who ever did that and you'll see those in "Backtracking" where I moved everything from the original forum that I did my reviews to here on The Grim Tower.

Now I grade out of 10, like everyone else. Except those who don't grade albums at all.

10 - Great - You must check this out, if not own it.

9 - Good - Didn't reinvent the wheel, but still strong enough to check out.

8 - Passes inspection - This is my SOLID tag and it usually adorns most of my reviews. It's more or less a solid album that anyone in the particular genre could enjoy. Not monumental, but still worth checking out.

7 - Decent - Couple flaws, but nothing too terrible. Not bad.

6 - Alright - There's usually a couple of tracks here I'll like, but it's not that great.

5 - Mediocre - Nothing unique here, but still classified as doing something. The musician/s put time and effort on the recording, but it doesn't really stand out from the rest of the flood of metal discs.

4 - Less Than Mediocre - For a disc to get this, it's got to be something that just rubs me the wrong way or comes off as processed garbage. If you're playing less than what everyone else is playing, it's time for a new game plan.

3 - Flawed - If you've gotten a 3 from me, it's not because I hate you. It's because the album offered damn near nothing. Not even one or two tracks. If it's less than cookie cutter garbage, I really don't know what to tell you.

2 - Poor - A disc with this score usually is accompanied with a cringe. What the hell did you do? For a man who's listened to and accepted several types of music that he normally wouldn't, just to give the band a shot; something must be really wrong here for me to have to give you this score. Thankfully, I don't usually give this one out.

1 - Garbage - I know that it hurts to have your work treated as garbage, it's a feeling I know all too well. But I'd liken it to constructive criticism and realize that I give this rating to very few bands and usually those bands are not trying at all.

0 - Unlistenable - Though I have given this out before, it's because the album didn't qualify as music. I really don't know what it was, but it wasn't music. If you know what it is, then please enlighten me on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment